Mobilizing security for a better user experience
HID Global is watching five key developing trends that will shape the secure identity landscape in the new year. One of the top developments we are seeing is the move to “mobilizing” security, which will make it more pervasive and personalized.
As we do more with our phones and increasingly demand anywhere/anytime on-line access, there is the opportunity to better protect these activities while creating a more satisfying, mobile-centric security experience at home, in the office, on the road and on-line.
Your phone is your ID card
Over the past several years we’ve begun to turn phones into ID cards, keys and computer logon tokens while plugging security holes that mobility initially introduced. Moving forward, continuing advancements will enable a new, more secure identity lifestyle built around the convenience and ubiquity of our ever-present mobile devices:
Visiting healthcare workers, patrolling guards, field inspection teams and factory workers will touch their phones to RFID tags to log their presence
A more secure identity lifestyle
- Improvements in deployment, onboarding, management and professional service options will help accelerate mobile access adoption, increasing user confidence and capabilities across a growing range of applications.
- It will become even easier for travelers to open hotel doors, for college students to enter dorm rooms, and for on-line bank customers to transact with their phones.
- Computer and network logon will move even more seamlessly to phones, tablets and laptops.
- Visiting healthcare workers, patrolling guards, field inspection teams and factory workers will touch their phones to RFID tags to log their presence and securely monitor processes in the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Wearables and other mobile products will join the device ecosystem, giving users even more choices and flexibility.
- Putting secure identities on smartphones will also have the potential to radically change citizen ID systems. Mobile devices can act as readers and eliminate expensive infrastructure, while paving the way for numerous new national ID applications beyond simple visual identification.
By Stefan Widing, HID Global President and CEO.
About HID Global
HID Global is the trusted source for innovative products, services, solutions, and know-how related to the creation, management, and use of secure identities for millions of customers around the world. The company’s served markets include physical and logical access control, including strong authentication and credential management; card printing and personalization; visitor management systems; highly secure government and citizen ID; and identification RFID technologies used in animal ID and industry and logistics applications. The company’s primary brands include ActivID®, EasyLobby®, FARGO®, IdenTrust®, LaserCard®, Lumidigm®, Quantum Secure, and HID®. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, HID Global has over 2,200 employees worldwide and operates international offices that support more than 100 countries. HID Global® is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand. For more information, visit the HID Global website.